Saturday, January 29, 2011

And I thought I liked snow......

I love snow. It's beautiful, and as long as my family and I can stay nice and warm, I'm quite happy to see it fall.

Even when we've had significant snowfalls, we haven't lost our power. In the many years we've lived in our all electric house, we've only lost our power during a winter storm once. Until now. This makes twice. We got six and a half inches is all, but it was a thunder snow (with thunder and lightning), and the snow was very, very heavy & wet. Sleet got mixed in with it at the beginning. Traffic was horrible according to the news reports, although thankfully my husband was smart enough to decide to work from home that day (Wednesday). Our power went out about 8:00 in the evening. When I called the electric company to report it, I got an automated message saying they were aware of the problem in our area, and we should have our power back by 8:46. Less than an hour didn't sound too bad.

Unfortunately, it was 17 hours, so it got a bit chilly. We filled a large cooler with snow, opened the fridge once to take out milk and cheese, and closed the fridge within 30 seconds. With the milk and cheese in the cooler, we were able to open it as often as we wanted. Friends put their milk outside, but they had to keep opening the door and let cold air in each time. The cooler worked great for us.

We could have used our fireplace to keep the house warmer, but the smoke might have triggered an asthma attack for me, so we decided to wait till the temperature dropped lower. The temperature didn't get below 56, and we survived pretty well. Thankfully, the power came back on at 3:00 in the afternoon. It was going to be a colder night Thursday night, so we felt very grateful to have our power back.

Now we're toasty warm again, but they're saying we have another storm just like this last one expected this coming Wednesday. Ick.

No comments: