Thursday, December 16, 2010

Getting a Facelift

Back in May, we got hit by inch & a quarter sized hail, which damaged our siding really bad. The insurance company is paying for our siding to be replaced. That meant I needed to find a reputable company, and not just some storm chaser.

I was ready to sign the paperwork with one company, but the rep changed his story from what he'd said at first as to what would be included (he said they'd do the trim at no extra cost). Later he backpedaled and said that they couldn't include it at no extra cost, but he'd be able to get the insurance company to pay for it. He said he knew my insurance adjuster, but my adjuster said he only knew the name and hadn't really had any actual dealings with him. I felt the siding rep had been dishonest with me, so I decided to find someone else.

So I talked to lots of siding replacement companies over the next couple of months. They all promised to give me references, but none of them did. Except one. I went and looked at the jobs he'd done and gave him the job, along with some other work we needed done.

Now, a little secret about my house. We bought it when the building of the neighborhood was still going on. Essentially we "built" the house and got to choose the colors on everything except the siding. The builder chose the outside color of the house, and it was a color I hated. I've hated the color of my house as long as we've lived here, for years and years. We've been in it a long, long time.

It's not going to be that icky color anymore. It's going to be a lovely Heritage Cream with white trim. They started yesterday, and by this morning, at least a third of it was done. Snow brought the work to a temporary halt, but the part that is done is lovely!

When my son gets home from his mission, it's not going to look like the same house. We had the side porch rebuilt, and it's a different porch completely. The side/kitchen door has been replaced, and it's an entirely different style. The color of the house will be different. Oh, and we have deliberately NOT told him about the renovations. We want him to be surprised!

Our house is going to be so much prettier, but half the fun will be to see his reaction when he comes home in March. I'll post pictures when it's done.

No comments: